What is new in start v5 - latest release: v5.1
With start v5.1 mainly internal processes have been optimized and minor bugs have been fixed. Since start normally runs constantly in the background, memory consumption is very important. For this reason, special effort was put into optimizing memory consumption in this update. Start was already very modest in terms of the system resources used, but with the optimizations, about 30% less memory is used.
- start is now also available with a French language version.
- For URL's from Craft, start now uses its own icon so that these URL's are better recognizable.
- The display of paths for entries in the main window is now optional and can be disabled.
- In the context menu, the path is also displayed (helpful if the paths are hidden in the main window).
- Optimization of the internal data structure.
- Optical adjustments to the two context menus of the main window so that the content is more readable and also visually oriented to the main window.
- When changing the line size in the main window, the resizing was displayed incorrectly with a colored background.
- The thumbnails were not displayed in the correct aspect ratio.
- Changing the menu bar icon no longer requires restarting the application.
- Other minor bug fixes
- You can now optionally switch tags and categories without a mouse click while the mouse is over them.
- The use of hotkeys has been extended. You can now assign hotkeys to single tags. In fact, you can assign two hotkeys to a tag. The first hotkey opens the main window and then switches to the corresponding tag. With the second hotkey you can launch all entries of a tag at once.
- While we are on the subject of tags: You can now assign an individual color to each tag icon.
- The icons have been completely redesigned and enhanced to provide a consistent look-and-feel. Together with the different colors, you can now choose from 910 icon and color combinations to create your own tag icon.
- The size of the icons as well as the text in the sidebar now use the macOS settings (10.15+).
- You can customize colors, tags and comments at once on multiple entries in the configuration.
- The number of entries of a tag can be displayed in the main window.
- For known file types - if possible - a thumbnail is displayed instead of the file icon (10.15+)
- Categories can be deactivated in the settings and will then no longer be displayed in the main window.
- Optimizations to the internal database.
- Some URL schemes have been rejected by Start so far. The detection here has been corrected.
- When changing the line size, the colour markings were then partially displayed incorrectly.
- Various other bug fixes and optimizations.
- macOS 10.13 is no longer supported.